Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
This creamy buffalo chicken dip has loads of gooey mozzarella, cheddar, and Colby jack cheese to cool down the spiciness, but NO BLUE CHEESE or ranch dressing! The chicken is cooked right in the hot sauce for maximum flavor.
- Author: Kelly @ Butter and Thyme
- Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- Category: appetizers, sauces and dips
- Method: braising
- Cuisine: American
- 8 oz. boneless chicken thighs
- 12 oz. boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup hot sauce, i.e. Frank’s original
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 3/4 cup Colby jack, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives or green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Celery, carrots, and tortilla chips for serving
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Brown the chicken in batches, about 5 minutes on each side, and remove it from the pan.
- In the same (now empty) pan, add hot sauce and vinegar and set over medium-low heat, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon. Add sugar, garlic, paprika, and Worcestershire.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to medium-low, and cover with a lid. When the chicken breast is fully cooked (165 °F) remove it from the pan and dice it into bite-sized pieces. Continue to braise the chicken thighs for 30-45 min. until very tender and shreddable. Shred them with a fork in the pan, and remove the pan from the heat. Add the butter and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Combine the buffalo chicken mixture with the cream cheese, mozzarella, Colby Jack, half of the cheddar, and the diced chicken breast. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, then top with the remaining cheddar. Bake for 25 min. until the cheese is melted and bubbling around the edges (do not overcook). Garnish with chives or green onion. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
- If using cooked chicken, use about 1 lb. total cooked chicken breast and/or thighs (raw chicken weighs more than cooked chicken).
Keywords: buffalo chicken dip no blue cheese, buffalo chicken dip without blue cheese, buffalo chicken dip with chicken thighs, cheesy buffalo chicken dip