Southwestern Eggs Benedict with Chipotle Hollandaise
This recipe is a delicious twist on traditional eggs Benedict. English muffins are topped with chorizo, sautéed peppers and onions, over-easy eggs, and an addicting creamy chipotle lime hollandaise sauce. I've opted for fried eggs over poached because I think they have more flavor, but you can poach eggs if you prefer!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stovetop, blender
- Cuisine: Mexican, American, French
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 breakfast sausage or chorizo patties
- 2 english muffins
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup Mexican cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Chipotle hollandaise (see recipe below)
For the Chipotle Hollandaise
- 2 egg yolks
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¾ cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Cholula is my favorite)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Saute peppers and onions until softened, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- In another small skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until well browned on both sides and cooked through. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Make Chipotle Hollandaise: put egg yolks and lime juice in a blender bowl. Melt butter in a liquid measuring cup in the microwave until completely melted and very warm. With the blender running, slowly and steadily pour in the melted butter. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to blend until well combined.
- Toast and butter english muffins, and make eggs: in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Fry eggs until the whites are opaque-- about 3-4 minutes. Flip eggs and turn off heat.
- Assemble eggs Benedict: place English muffins open faced on two plates. On each English muffin half, top evenly with Mexican cheese, peppers and onions, sausage, salsa verde and eggs. Top with Chipotle Hollandaise sauce. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
- If you want to poach your eggs instead of frying them, I've included some helpful tips in the blog post.
- If your hollandaise saue breaks or if you want more info on making hollandaise, check out the All About Hollandaise & Troubleshooting section above.
Keywords: breakfast, brunch, eggs benedict, hollandaise, eggs benedict with chipotle hollandaise